Dark Souls

Magnus

Blocking WoG with Grass Shield is not effective at all. Crest Shield is decent. Idk, I guess I will just work on my roll timing. The Great Magic Barrier is great. I ate a whole CSS, HCSM, and Moonlight hits and barely tickled when I bum rushed a dude. Also, I noticed that for Fire Tempest, after the initial two second start up, it has some invincibility frames. Mike and I rushed a guy with mom mask, giant armor, and lots of WoG. When I used Fire Tempest, the WoG didn't push me nor dealth damage. Not sure if it was lag though. Need more testing and confirmation.

The song on the second video is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBK2BY2uiDI

Elton were you digging the hilariously puny damage the dragonslayer spear was doing last night? I hit some guy for 79 damage LOL

It was great. Use that Hornet Ring. You were getting a lot of back stabs.

Edited by Wong

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blocking WoG with Grass Shield is not effective at all.

It works fine. You take half damage and you should have the timing down by then, or be in backstab/combo position right after. I do it all the time. Rolling thru is always better but twop stuffs that sometimes.

Oh yeah, and iirc it breaking your guard leads to you getting flattened. This is good because being flattened > breaking poise all day long.

Idk, I guess I will just work on my roll timing. The Great Magic Barrier is great. I ate a whole CSS, HCSM, and Moonlight hits and barely tickled when I bum rushed a dude. Also, I noticed that for Fire Tempest, after the initial two second start up, it has some invincibility frames. Mike and I rushed a guy with mom mask, giant armor, and lots of WoG. When I used Fire Tempest, the WoG didn't push me nor dealth damage. Not sure if it was lag though. Need more testing and confirmation.

Fire whip gets infinite poise frames too I think. I hit a guy 5 times with gravelord sword while he was spamming flame whip and I lost the damage race LOL

I wog'd someone off a cliff when he was hiding behind a tree yesterday LOL

I'll try to get on a little earlier today. I'm gonna get in 5 or so fights with my moonlight girl then switch to other files probably for the rest of the night. After I get those fights out of the way I'm down for doing anything. Even regular old levels! Speaking of which I might want you guys to help me do a few levels (Blighttown, sendog, anor, and catacombs) so I can get all the spells I needed on my uh faith mage.

Edited by Penguin Deus

Word son

I'm on and I'm done playing with Red Lucy for tonight. Went into kiln to get my workout on, got my ass stomped for awhile, than finally pulled through like a champ. Eye of the tiger.

Either way I'm so hit me up if you want to get down on some colon maxing.

I think if you totalled the kills Jose, Elton, and I all had tonight it was over 200. Fuck it's 230am I'm going to bed.

Forest is hilarious.

Edited by Penguin Deus

Forest is hilarious.

I am not convinced that poise is the be-all and end-all stat. I am doing just fine with 40 poise. I mean, sure it sucks getting stunned to death by Claymore and Murakumo, but it rarely happens from dueling in Dark Anol. I need to duel Mike more vs. Moonlight Greatsword to see how well I do at dodging. The only stun death I am really worried about is against Zwei, mainly because it has an insane reach, but that requires 76 poise (?) to break. So yeah, I am just going to concentrate on looks and have a minimum poise of 40. If I get more poise, cool beans, but I will not fret over it like most people.

Edited by Wong

yeah, it's surprising to see that, cause every time I run into elton in a game he's holding some huge ass weapon. I know for me, I have to run high poise with large weapons cause they have such a slow startup that I need the poise to push through attacks.

Even then, stupid moonlight sword is the bane of my existence when I run my str character.

I told mike already this, but I'm giving up on demon great axe for my str girl, at least with invading. It is not made to handle groups. I'll run it in co-op but that's about it.

Not sure if this helps but at hugging range, I mostly stick with the rolling attack since it has much better startup. When I use the regular R1 and running R1, I tend to abuse the Dragon Tooth's and Demon Great Machete's full reach and hit people by the tip. Sometimes, I will get people in a stun lock because they roll into me. :lol: So yeah, that is how I compensate for the slow start up. Heck, I manage to R2 people with the Dragon Tooth sometimes, and that thing has a BS punish worthy start-up, just because I attack from full range and not hugging range.

Loving the BK Halberd though. I wasn't good with it the first night but now I can win pretty consistently. The 2H R2 is great. He glides in the air for a good second like some wuxia hero.

Edited by Wong

I basically use it for the stun to set up big weapons. I used to use it to hit with dga before, but since I gave up on it, it's working really good for bkga. It was working really well too when I ran into full parties when I invaded cause they always try to surround. You do it enough times to break guard and you'll deal good damage if they try to block. With so many castings, you'll have chances to do that.

Force is awesome.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. I will definitely try it out when I get the chance. It makes sense that it will work for BKGA and BK Halberd since they have quick start up for STR weapons, but I am not sure how well it would work for the great clubs, ultra greatswords, and great axes. But yes, I will try it out, because I like testing out new stuff.

New Technology

Does this also mean you gave up on the Dragon King Greataxe?

Time to share some photos! These are my armor sets for my build (Sara SL130): http://imgur.com/a/imf26

1. Valkyrie (48 poise) - Gargoyle Helm / Ornstein's Armor / Giant Gauntlets / Blood Stained Skirt

This is my primary armor set. I will replace it with the Blood Stained Skirt in NG+. I really like the look of this armor set. All the armor pieces seems to flow well and colors matches.

http://i.imgur.com/rasqgh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zgI93h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3R3Gyh.jpg

2. Wanderer (56 poise) - Wanderer Coat / Havel's Gauntlets / Havel's Leggings

This is my secondary armor set. I had this armor set even before I learned about poise, which happens to be a 56 thanks to Havel's Set. I was going for the rugged look as a wanderer, not a soldier. I really like the Wanderer Coat design too. The only thing I don't like is from the knee down because the leg portion is almost too big.

http://i.imgur.com/Yx7I5h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aM45wh.jpg

3. Troll (61 poise) - Mask of the Mother / Havel's Armor / Iron Bracelet / Hollow Soldier Waistcloth

This is my trolling armor set. For this armor set, I was just trying squeezing out as much poise as possible with the Dragon Tooth and Mask of the Mother, after reading about what poise is. It looks hilarious! I don't use it for dueling.

http://i.imgur.com/yRsXUh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ubpK0h.jpg

Sorry for the quality. My phone is pretty bad.

Well, no. I haven't given up in dkga cause I haven't gotten to use it yet. Its still +4 and don't have the d.scales for +5 yet. Reason I gave up on dga is cause it doesn't handle 2v1 and 3v1 well for me cause I have no reliable way to damage or threaten rushes. My str girl doesn't have enough faith to make wog viable for damage and r1 on dga is just a vertical slash. Only aoe on it are roll r1 and 1h r2.

Dkga has that r2 attack that can work fine, so i'll still mess with it.

Force works well with slower weapons cause I started using it when I ran dga, so it should work fine with everything else.

You can easily get five from Ash Lakes by finding three and killing the Hydra for two. You only need four to go from +4 to +5. I'd give you some but I am not at home right now. I just happen to have all the pics on my phone.

The easiest way to farm for Dragon Scales is by joining the Dragon covenant. I tried farming the drakes at the Valley. Three scales from two hours of work. Fk that! I'd be faster going NG+. Not as bad a Slabs though.

Edited by Wong

I know about the d.scales in ash lake. I had to use those to make my own dkga, cause initially you said you were gonna hold on to yours.

I thought I said I was going to hold to my DKGA until I upgrade my other weapons (when I hit Dark Anol)? Sorry for the confusion then. I think the BK Halberd (thanks John!) and Dragon Tooth are my only fully upgraded weapons, and I used my Dragon Tooth @ +3 for the longest time, and had great success. My Golem Axe +3 is having decent success too. My Demon Great Machete +4 can still combo people to death. You probably don't need DKGA @ +5 to compete. I didn't. It'd sure help though.

From the wiki, you can get five more scales from other sources:

- Dragon Scale can be obtained by defeating the Hydra in a lake at the bottom of Darkroot Basin.

- Dragon Scale can also be obtained by killing the Undead Dragon in Valley of Drakes.

- One Dragon Scale in a chest near the second Bonfire in Blighttown.

- Undead Dragon in the Painted World of Ariamis drops a Scale. To access this area, you'll need the Peculiar Doll. With that, you will be able to enter the very large painting in Anor Londo. The Doll is in the cell where the game started, in Undead Asylum.

- One Dragon Scale per playthrough may be obtained by trading Egg Vermifuge to Snuggly Crow

That's what I did to get my Dragon Tooth to +5.

Edited by Wong

@mike: Oh word, yeah. I totally forgot. Good shit, it was probably for that dkga that I needed them for.

My dex file is almost pvp ready. I'm gonna start off with lifehunt scythe and pris dagger and see how that goes. Gonna draw blood from fools.

@elton: I did most of that except for trading and uh undead dragon at valley of drakes. I know I'll get em eventually (well, more now that mike is gonna trade some over to me). When it comes to weapons, I like to run weapons as close to max as possible for pvp, so I wanna hold off till I get it to +5, especially with dragon weapons cause they don't scale with anything (except for pris dagger, and that's it iirc).

EDIT: Wong be ninja'ing me son!

Edited by Ethos

EDIT: Wong be ninja'ing me son!

http://www.yournextapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/askninja.jpg

(except for pris dagger, and that's it iirc).

The Dragon Bone Fist +5 scales with STR, like a boss.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/210/071/Deadpool_Shoryuken1.jpg?1322691257

Edited by Wong

When Mike and I were trying to connect two days ago, I kept fighting some dude named NineLives at the Forest. After beating him a lot, he sent me this:

him: ur too good. gg. how much poise? (he was using a claymore, mom mask, full giant)

me: 40 poise (i was using Ornstein Chest, Giant Arms, and Painting Legs)

*he sends me a friend request*

Edited by Wong