Destiny

Rachis

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is sick, at least it is while you're leveling up, getting gear and unlocking abilities. Honestly it is very repetitive and the story is woefully lacking in, well, story, but outside of that it's a great shooter.

You basically have to earn your gear instead of straight up buying it COD, and beyond that you get to customize your character and literally make him your own. I'm into that kind of stuff, but for people who aren't the game can be sucky.

The pistol is underrated. It's pretty accurate firing from the hip, and melee + one bullet is enough to kill. If they buff it by increasing magazine size it'd see more usage in pvp.

Fusion rifle is the best secondary hands down.

hand cannons can spawn with mag sizes up to 9

some of the legendary ones have 11-12 with mag size mods

they are god

im lvl20 and beat all the stuff so i do review

i played on ps3 solo

game is the best generic sci fi shooter made. its like being the smartest retard, or the prettiest mole rat. theres a lot of problems that need addressing and the only thing saving them are the exceptional fps mechanics.

for story, they have the generic sci-fi alien trifecta that basically goes tribal pyschic people, horde of zombie aliens, and space marines. they even added autonomated robot hivemind. the story doesnt add any value or depth to any of these races either, since theyre all evil and you should shoot them because theyre bad. they try to introduce some characters to the plot but they immediately disappear and there is zero development whatsoever. i cant even remember the name of that one lady that i talked like 3 times (she shows up the most out of all the characters). lots of the voice acting is below average DINKLAGE and many of the (unskippable) cutscenes are almost carbon copies of star wars or star trek scenes. this game is basically the game youd see some 12 year old play in the background of a comedy movie. honestly tho im surprised bungie was able to create such a bad story.

level design is mixed. the big overworld maps suck, but the small sections that were made for missions and stuff are pretty well made. the reason why overworld maps suck is because theyre basically interactive loading screens to get to your main objective and theyre fucking huge and barren. they drop you off in the same spot in attempt to make you appreciate the grandoise of the levels when really its just a scenic nuisance. the actual missioning areas tho have great atmosphere and neat design, although everything is a wasteland wreck. while it adds continuity to the already-shitty-as-fuck-story, the fact that everything is run-down gets kinda stale. not saying that the small maps are bad, but they could use a little more atmospheric variety rather than "everything is a dark wreckage of a past civilization" if youre the kind of guy that wants to do an 800% eyeball scan over every single polygon of terrain, you will have a field day.

the community aspect of the game is the most un-mmo of all self-proclaimed mmos. in fact, games like D3, BL2, and MW2 all have more active community environments than destiny. you don't get traditional lobbies, only queues, and you can only play with random people on normal missions by inviting them, except they have to be on the same planet and presumably doing the same mission at the same rate of progress. either that, or you sit around the campfire in the open world option, aimlessly driving around and dancing with other people. theres almost no incentive to wander around the open area because the random spawn missions are not very rewarding and are on a large cooldown timer and the maps are so huge that you hardly know that one is happening, and even if you did know one was happening, much to your surprise its on the other side of the map thats the size of the moon. for this reason, youd probably expect maybe 3-4 people per planet hanging around the free maps. its really alienating how theyve managed the "play with random people" aspect of the game, especially since you can only have a max party of 3 at all given times. forget the fact that most pvp matchmaking is 6v6, you have to split up groups between your friends in order to play with any. theres only 4 preset character actions and voice chat to communicate with one another inside of the game. no text chat, no ability to set up a preset message list. best non-mic option is to create a PSN text chat room, but that involves adding all the random people to your friends list just so you can tell them how you banged their mom last night. its extremely irksome to not be able to easily organize things with random people besides throwing invites at each other and figuring out things later.

now im not normally big on graphics but when it takes me 8 hours to figure out what characters ACTUALLY look like in game, something is wrong. particles, antialiasing, textures, resolution, etc on ps3 are pretty standard ps3 quality (probably better than most standard ps3 games) BUT the character face models in the character creation screen are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THOSE THAT YOU SEE IN-GAME, not to mention it takes about 7 minutes to create a character and see the difference between them. you go from looking like angelina jolie to looking like king kong just because character creation sucks.

loot and classes are good. i have no real complaints with either, although it does feel very grindy trying to unlock all the skills for both subclasses. luckily you get experience by playing in the pvp arenas. loot is vast enough to keep you excited, while small enough to become familiar with whats what and recognize what you want and what you dont want. loot drops themselves are mostly from enemies, since the world is too big to go adventuring for small chests.

the fps mechanics themselves are well thought out and pretty inventive. your grenade is tied to your class and each class has a potential 6 different grenades they can choose from, all having different unique effects. your melee has a buff version on a cooldown that is basically up at all the times you want it to be up (unless you are going on a punching spree) and the damage scales up well enough to be useful at even levels. headshots feel satisfying and are basically the focus of combat in pvp and pve, which provides players with enough mental stimulation to avoid the typical spray-and-pray. jump skills are tied to classes and everyone has varying usages of increased aerial mobility, with each option fitting each class fairly well.

the pve missions are very fun and well balanced when playing solo or in a group. they give you just enough enemies to feel slightly overwhelmed but not so many that you cannot manage them, save for 1 or 2 instances. the missions themselves are fairly lengthy, ranging anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes solo. playing with other people, your time is cut down by a sizable amount, but playing with other people is fun (even if they are random) because shooting things together is romantic and shit. despite this, the main story missions have almost no variance in objective layout and the strike mission bosses take an unnecessarily long amount of time to kill, even with 3 people. your standard mission goes: ride bike 1000 miles > get to scan thing > defend scan thing > kill guy to advance to next scan thing > peter dinklage robit "acts" surprised > he scans some stuff > defend him (maybe a boss) > u win. bungie even said somewhere that the reason why the missions are so repetitive is because it was easy to code. something about laying brickwork for the next coming 10 years of destiny games, but tbh they shouldve started strong rather than half ass it. also when i talk about long strike i mean 10 minute boss fights that are basically normal bosses with 100x the HP. it gets exciting because usually your teammates suck and you have to juggle revives with trash mobs with boss aggro, but if everyone is decent then the only thing keeping it exciting would be the loot.

the pvp is fantastic. just like the only reason you pick up halo or cod is because you want to pubstomp, destinys main saving grace is the standard fps pvp. controls are responsive (unlike killzone/dust), visual lag is kept to a minimum, and maps are interesting and balanced enough for now. some maps are too large for 6v6, but they are typically outliers. if youve played beta, the moon map, revolvers, and pulse rifles were all fixed to be balanced. on very rare occasions you will get spawnkilled, but spawn is instant in most game modes, and in the game modes where spawn isnt instant, you are revivable for ur spawn countdown timer duration. destiny is basically a well crafted balanced mesh between halo and cod, where its slower than cod, but you can still ads and run around and TTK has an aim-at-the-head focus like halo. weapons as of right now are pretty well balanced, with shotguns having advantages solely because of general map structure, and character classes matter just enough to add an extra amount of flare to the game without totally throwing everything out of whack. you get your standard game modes of ctf, tdm, ffa, hq, teamtac, and some limited time game modes like a vehicle/robit centered game mode thats supposed to be going on next week.

im bored and tired and want to sleep so i can wake up and shoot more scrubs in pvp so im going to end review here

TLDR PVP YES EVERYTHING ELSE PROBABLY NOT

*UNLESS YOU HAVE FRIENDS

Yes I heard rarer hand guns have larger mags but they could afford to up the avg by 2 or 3 bullets.

They should fix the character creation by letting you change it whenever, I don't see that being implemented outside of dlc however.

I agree with starting off strong instead of what it is atm, like you said the patrol is scenic but far too empty. When it's as large as it is with no obvious objective, it's a waste for everyone.

Strikes are fun when they're hard, I love a good challenge but I always worry about teammates finding it too difficult and ditching the mission on me. It's happened once, and i'm glad because their replacements played smarter.

I find the whole game needing more weapon variety, by which I mean weapon types. I don't doubt Bungie will do that eventually because they're going to run out of enviable loot for obsessive players.

They should also set up a playlist with team colors being mandatory because sometimes red enemy names just aren't enough. And of course do silly things like a grifball clone or sparrow races.

Is it just me or are private matches not possible.

The lack of private match also means don't expect to see competitive destiny anytime soon despite having included competitive multiplayer in the game. Makes sense right?

The more I play this game, the more I love it. Too bad I got sent to Alaska and can't play for at least a couple weeks =(

ign and some other reviews said generally same thing

basically most da reviews r consistent

raids have been added and ive heard they are hard but fun because theres lots of non-shooty mechanics involved and you gotta coordinate real well between 6 ppl total. took most max gear teams like 11-15 hrs to get through complete raid first time

still the fact taht they only added the fun stuff to the very very endgame content shuts out a sizable portion of da playerbase especially with how hard it is to organize with 5 other competent people in game and it doesnt rly fix anything with the story

I haven't finished the raid but I can confirm it's freaking fun. Like, if even half the missions were like raids the reviews would turn on their heads and suck Bungie's dick.

Of course since it's my first time I'm loving it. But I still never found most strikes fun even the first time around so that's something.

Without spoiling too much 2/3 of it is shooty, but requires teamwork and tactics (and puzzle solving if no one knows what to do). 1/3 is an intermission from shooting and requires everyone to pull their own weight. There's a bit of puzzling too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wrote a review for this on amazon, so I'll repost my thoughts. I made it a lot more informative than anything, since it was supposed to go on the amazon page.

Destiny. If you want to enjoy this game, then be aware that Bungie was lying through their teeth about the amount of content this game has. I was originally rather put off by a lot of the early hype, but I got access to a copy through some family, and I've dumped a pretty excessive amount of hours into it (usually) happily. The story is fairly short, the missions are simple, the characters are archetypical in every way, cutscenes are long and unskippable, and the grind is thoroughly horrendous at times.

However, there is a side of Destiny that is actually thoroughly fun. Shooting! Destiny has a very well made set of FPS mechanics with a fairly large variety of different unique guns to shoot with. Exotic weapons in particular tend to go a bit crazy in the way of new ways to shoot stuff, that make the combat very much fun. Guns feel weighty and pleasant to shoot, and killing waves of enemies is both satisfying and easy, even for gamers with less skill and practice. Problem is, there is a rather limited number of scenarios to experience this combat in, especially between levels 18-25, the period after you finished the story but before you've unlocked the raid. Multiplayer is both functional and rather fun, but it has periods where you must adapt quickly or die, and collecting useful weapons and armor is paramount to your success in the multiplayer.

Destiny essentially has four large levels in the form of its planets. Each of these levels have sections cut off for dungeons and future raids, but what's there is quite pretty to look at and fairly large by itself. Only issue is, there's only four of them. A desert, a jungle, a Fallout-style wasteland, and the moon. Fortunately, each of these planetary levels have some variation within them, such as a volcanic-looking area on venus or a series of underground rooms on the moon. Loading screens are non-existent once you touch down on the planet, though the game does have rather large load times when you first move from space to the surface. This is typically where pre-level exposition is given to the player, explaining the mission they're undergoing and what type of target they must destroy.

The storytelling and cast of characters in Destiny, to put it blunty, is lacking depth. The game expects you to get wrapped up in the large scale war that the game is trying to tell, but it breaks itself in two constantly every time you ask "why?" All you know is that you are the good guys, the bad guys recently destroyed more or less everything, and you need to kill stuff for a potentially infinite amount of ttime. You defeat a seemingly important target on almost every planet, but the game doesn't even pretend that you're having any impact on the world around you whatsoever. If you kill the enemy leader in a dungeon, he simply respawns the next time you walk inside, with the same unique name and the same dialogue aftter he dies. This is somewhat standard fare in traditional MMOs, but Destiny is not a traditional MMO, even though it desperately wishes that this were the case.

To make the storytelling issue a bit worse, there's actually quite clearly some effort put into making the enemies have a somewhat interesting heirarchy and culture of their own, but almost none of it is seen or mentioned in-game. The Fallen in particular interest me, but any relevant lore is either hidden in a series of online info cards or simply not present at the moment. As an example of what I was hoping for, Halo often had enemies in small formations with a designated leader, and they would often spout small phrases in english to give you a bit of perspective on their view of the battle and lend them some personality. If a leader was killed in front of their minions, then the minions would panic and scatter. Such is not the case in Destiny, all enemies act completely individually and have no unique interactions when left to their own devices. This is rather disappointing, to say the least. I hope that future installments of the game, either in DLC or a sequel, take the story more seriously. Either that, or a series of books/comics would be welcome as well.

Now back to the mechanics of the game. Again, shooting stuff is really fun, and there's a pretty decent enemy variety to shoot at. There's also a bit of exploration in destiny, though the sheer amount of time you will spend to unlock everything can dull the sense of wonder quite easily. Destiny feels rather mobile in comparison to it's ancestor, Halo, and this compliments the rather chaotic nature of the combat rather well. It's all about having as much fun as possible killing as many enemies as possible. This actually means that the gameplay becomes more fun and varied as you level up, with a rather large leap from 19-20, at which point weapons and armor are no longer locked away behind a level barrier.

Destiny features three classes which all offer a few special treats and differing playstyles, though I personally dislike the titans. Each of the three classes has a subclass, and the subclass often plays vastly differently from the original class, which can help to vary gameplay significantly. Subclasses aren't unlocked until about 3/4 of the way through the story, however, so you do have to spend quite a while with just one class before you can start using something different.

Warlocks cause massive destruction and are quite mobile, in exchange for being fragile.

Hunters have a lot of unique fun skills that make killing crowds a pleasure, and offer bonuses for skill-based manuevers such as headshots or attacking an enemy from behind.

Titans have a rather large amount of firepower and armor, and are best suited to getting close to a crowd for boxing practice. The Fist of Havoc skill is also a rather fun way to leap into the fray, and the "Defender" Titan subclass is extremely powerful for team-oriented play as well, lending the game a bit of coordination.

Destiny is, at its core, a collect-a-thon set in the future, with fun combat mechanics. To get anything worthwhile in this game, you really need to devote a fairly large amount of time to it, and you also need to take EVERY opportunity the game gives you for more loot. This is where many people often give up, as the game does a poor job of explaining how the post-story game is supposed to work. If you own this game, or buy it, do yourself a favor and learn (google is your friend) all of the more efficient ways to grind once you get to level 20. This can help with the most painful part of destiny, which is being unable to advance.

After the story is complete, the game will randomly select a daily level for you to replay, and a weekly dungeon for you to replay, each with a few small added challenges, such as enemies that don't flinch when shot or enemies with particularly resillient shielding. Every friday, there is also a merchant that sells post-game equipment, and his unique currency can be acquired rather reliably at the higher levels. Unfortunately, his stock is random, and he seems to enjoy teasing players by selling the same equipment multiple weeks in a row. As a player, you also have the option of collecting experience with a faction and then trading special credits with them to acquire end-game suitable gear. There's an arbitrary limit on how many credits you can earn in a week, however, and this can slow things down. You can circumvent this by collecting a large amount of experience, however. The game SHOULD tell you this, but it doesn't: reaching the third rank with any given faction gives you free high-level equipment, and every subsequent rank from that point onward will also give more free equipment. This all helps to ease the grind somewhat, or at least make it maneagable.This doesn't address the issue of the sheer amount of time it takes, however. A friend of mine has nearly 700 hours by now, and he's still trying to collect all of the more interesting weapons.

In conclusion, Destiny isn't bad, but it's not great either. There's a lot of fun to be had if you don't mind putting in a large amount of time, but there's quite a few negatives that you as a player will have to brace yourself for. Kids should have no problem playing this rather mindlessly, I know a few 8-10-year olds that love this game to death. It you want something that's a bit more interesting to think about or requires advanced tactics, then don't waste your time. It's a ridiculous grindfest, but a fairly fun one.

I may have been half-asleep when I wrote this, so it might make more sense to me than anyone else.

Didn't half a billion dollars get dumped into this game? for it to be controversial about whether it's good or not is just retarded, it should be getting consistently positive feedback.

at least from that perspective this game looks like a failure to me

if they dumped half a billiion into it, then it's a rather shitty game they got for their investment.it's still selling like crazy and has just as many people complaining about it as there are playing it. to quote something... I think a reviewer said "I hate this, why can't I stop playing it?"