Call of Duty: Black Ops

Magnus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can't do much to change the very stagnant spawns of game modes like demolition (we always did the same thing in virtually every game of sabotage in cod4) but at least simple tweaks like putting that specific spawn up against the wall so you can't get behind it would be a nice change. Static spawns in those push oriented game modes are going to remain like that though.

I am really enjoying the Olympia, SPAS, M60, Stoner, and PSG1 currently.

The map design is pretty terrible in this game for objectives anyways. Cod objective gametypes will almost always be stupid as long as iw/treyarch make nonsymmetrical maps.

QFT

And they do not have to be carbon-copy symmetrical, just symmetrical in concept.

I can't say that I've never taken advantage of spawn killing, though mine was accidental and I didn't want to pass it up. (Inside Wasteland bunker, saw the tips of peoples heads pop up over the wooden wall when I was on boxes.)

Anywho, after getter most pro perks, I've finally started playing SnD. Which is probably the only game mode that is now worth my time for black ops in general.

I got a new PSN username a month ago. My friend list got full and I can't download any of my stuff anymore (I used up all five accounts and don't want to deactivate any of my friends' PS3s). Note to self: Don't game share and deactivate PS3 before selling it.

And yeah, I am free this Thursday if you want to play some SF or BOPS.

So the patch/"title update" came out and it:

1) Prevents me from attaining a four bar connection

2) Destroyed the only gametype I enjoy playing by myself

3) "tweaked" sniping.

Does anybody know exactly what about sniping was tweaked? Nobody seems to know.

It might be me, but I think they scope in quicker. If not, I at least know for a fact that I'm getting way better hit detection now.

Anyway, I got First Strike and I think it's pretty fantastic. I hate Berlin Wall with a passion, but Kowloon might be my new favorite map. Shotguns and sniper rifles are so fun there.

So the patch/"title update" came out and it:

1) Prevents me from attaining a four bar connection

2) Destroyed the only gametype I enjoy playing by myself

3) "tweaked" sniping.

Does anybody know exactly what about sniping was tweaked? Nobody seems to know.

I think the damage was, I can take people down in two shots rather than 5.

Upping the damage won't fix any hit detection problem and the ability to take people down in less shots, not for snipers anyways, unless the difference you're talking about is 1 instead of 2 shots.

The game has built-in latency compensation to help alleviate the desync when people play each other. When the game 'syncs' a game lobby together, it does so by applying that compensation to everybody relevant to their ping with the host-- of which you can see in full effect in theater mode.

My guess is they most likely tweaked the algorithm/specs of how that compensation works with snipers--especially when scoping in.

My only other guess is that they might of upped the hitbox for snipers, giving people who can't aim while scoping in a sense of better hit detection. Most likely tweaking the latency compensation though.

Anyway, I got First Strike and I think it's pretty fantastic. I hate Berlin Wall with a passion, but Kowloon might be my new favorite map. Shotguns and sniper rifles are so fun there.

That's exactly how I felt when I first got that map pack. Now Berlin Wall is pretty much the only map I find myself consistently enjoying. Been on the fence with Kowloon for a while. Stadium and Discovery can go fuck themselves.

Anybody else have a real problem playing on Stadium? I want to blame it on the fact I play defensively rather than rushing around. It just seems like any given spot on that map has fifteen different lines of sight aimed directly at it... It feels very difficult to lock down any area of that map and still be successful. It's obnoxiously common on that map to have three or four enemies firing on me at the same time no matter where I am.

@Lenin

You can't just go rushing around on Stadium. Yeah that's what you see, but you are watching mostly bad players do it. The middle is a very important part of the map to control because it allows you to very quickly traverse between spawns. However, if middle control can't be kept then you have to route around the outside of the map. This is further complicated by the fact that you have 4 major locations to control that give height advantage. The stadium itself and the building across from it with access directly over the middle area are the 2 higher priority locations to hold. The other two areas being the building in the corner with the ladder and the other adjacent to the stadium that has the balcony. The balcony generally sucks, but the sightline works on a situational basis. The ladder one allows you to attack the elevated position above B spawn as well as prevent people from funneling out of that side of the stadium, however you are a sitting duck from that location so it's best to not hold it on your own.

The problem with this map is that when you have your team working together it's very possible to halt all motion on the map. Otherwise the map is just a mess. Your best courses of action on this map are to hold an elevated position, attack an elevated position from another elevated position, and to run the outside of the map. The middle is taken care of through the elevated positions leaving most of the action happening at the stadium itself.

You can't play stagnant defense here either. You need to be aggressively patrolling your zone. Every position you can hold on this map is vulnerable to more angles than a typical strong area on the other maps in this game. When you are that vulnerable you have to be able to adjust quickly. I think your problem isn't necessarily your tactics, but simply by the fact that I know you play slower than most people and it's causing you to have severe issues with the fast paced nature of this map. I would recommend you make an effort to work with somebody even if it's a random. If it comes down to you following a random around and picking up the pieces then that's what you gotta do.

Edited by Wrenchis

I'll step my game up and see how it works out when I should so happen to actually get on BOps again. I've never made a serious effort to ever play any faster than I already do.

Then again your tactic for dealing with BOps as a whole earlier today was inspiring. So I think I'm gonna follow suit and just stick with MW2 for a while. Should I end up back in BOps for some ungodly reason, my reaction times there will be tenfold better after dealing with an onslaught of Stopping Power Tevors and ACRs.

Yeah I must say Black Ops is much more enjoyable in 9 pieces as opposed to 1. Then again I imagine it was just the beginning of the end when the only enjoyment I was getting was from sniping. That's bad news when I'm the assault goon of the group.

Yeah I must say Black Ops is much more enjoyable in 9 pieces as opposed to 1. Then again I imagine it was just the beginning of the end when the only enjoyment I was getting was from sniping. That's bad news when I'm the assault goon of the group.

It's actually pretty amusing when you dump bullets on people when you're right behind them.

You shouldn't flat out try quickscoping though. I'm not a quickscoper. I'm a quick sniper. I see my target, zoom in, take my shot. That's how things are supposed to be done. Quickscoping is a tool that is only efficient in cqc and black ops made quickscoping almost entirely inefficient when they gave the snipers that huge fucking sway.

The reason why sniping won't be competitive in this game ever is because the scope in time is stupid slow. You have to be very deliberate and precise or you're going to get put down.

The reason why sniping won't be competitive in this game ever is because the scope in time is stupid slow. You have to be very deliberate and precise or you're going to get put down.

You mean soley in Black Ops or games like CoD? Even in MW2, where you had SOHP, sniper rifles were not used competitively. Sniper rifles were used in COD4 though, and that is mostly because to some maps (Crash, Bog, etc) in S&D (slower format) warrants it. There are really no maps in Black Ops or MW2 that warrants a sniper rifle that an assault rifle can't do in competitive gaming.

Think my sensitivity was too high.

I normally run with 7 and sniper at 10, so maybe it is not high enough. :P