Dark Souls

Magnus

then have grass shield on top of your catalyst so you can hide the aura until you need it

That's actually what I was planning. Catalyst/Grass Shield on left and Moonlight/spear OR pyro OR enchanted uchi/sunlight on right. Clearly lots of options and I might just make a shitload of variant setups instead. That was how I played it before and it worked smashingly.

if the cat lady wont talk to you, try paying off your sin. hit up velka in the gargoyle tower and soul glitch if you have to (2k souls per SL is a dumb amount)

Yeah the thought hit me after I turned the game off lol

oh and i got the moonlight sword, but i lied about the bladewaves

1H = powerslash thats vertical, 2H = full-on horizontal projectile bladewave

and its upgraded with dragon scales

Give me your spare dragon scales

and for your faith guy, be sure you get the crescent ax. its fast and has manly range and naturally has a B scaling in faith, so +15 is pretty buff

Okay yeah. Will do.

true GS of artorias is the new BBS but it takes a lot more points to get it up to a usable point. id say its probably only useful once youre at like SL170 and upwards.

Can GSoA be enchanted? Otherwise it's not the bbs. light weapon is what made the bbs the most powerful setup weapon in the game.

also id rather use the dusk crown headpiece with logans catalyst than use tin crystallization with dusk crown ring

Your magic defense drops with the crown though, like 30%. If you aren't needing poise the armor from that set raises magic damage 10% without a penalty iirc.

hey if anyone is near SL70 would they mind giving me their avelyn? im gonna use my SL70 acct to dual-wield them, but i dont want to go through NG+ just to get it.

idk what that is but I bet one of my two files can spare it. You can have mine. Tonight might not be good though since I get home late today and I want to watch football but otherwise yeah as soon as I get one it's yours. Can I just run into there and grab it fast? If so I'll blitz with my strength guy to the spot since he can teleport to Anor Lando from wherever anyways.

Edited by Penguin Deus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moonlight sword adds 40 magic defense so id rather have the poise and a lower magic defense, especially with the moonlight

i doubt TGSoA can be enchanted legitimately, but it can hit like 800-900 base atk iirc

avelyn is a crossbow that shoots in bursts and does lightning damage. im gonna dual wield them like i dual wielded scraping spears

i can give you 5-10 dragon scales on my SL70 acct which should be enough if you get the 5 in ash lake (10 scales to +5)

and dont get the moonlight butterfly spear. its got long range but the damage is pretty crappy (~330ish pure magic w/ 45 INT)

the shield is way more fun, albeit less usable in actual pvp

On that note, what's a good place to use Dragon Eye and at what level?

According to Gamefaqs and PtD.com Kiln of the first flame and Anor Lando are popular spots. At Kiln most people are around SL 100-150 but mosty the 120 area for pvp purposes, and most people are in the 60-70 SL range in Anor Lando.

I wouldn't use the Moonlight butterfly spear either if you're already using the moonlight blade since both only do pure magic damage. If someone were to fight you with a faith build or someone with high magic defense armor(Channelers or Xanthous) you're SoL. Though having a Pyroflame +20 helps with those kinds of people and so does Crystal magic weapon because it adds physical damage to.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

SL99 is popular with japanese

SL120 is moderately active but i cant tell if thats because theres more people at SL99 or if its because servers still suck ass

SL150 is for derp NA players that hate lightning weapons and used soul glitch

^in the kiln

Edited by noob

moonlight sword adds 40 magic defense so id rather have the poise and a lower magic defense, especially with the moonlight

Yeah that makes sense. I meant in general though like if you're using a shield and estoc/spear set, or something that doesn't need much poise. That antiquated dress is pretty amazing.

i doubt TGSoA can be enchanted legitimately, but it can hit like 800-900 base atk iirc

I'd like to see proof on that being true at SL120. That sounds high.

avelyn is a crossbow that shoots in bursts and does lightning damage. im gonna dual wield them like i dual wielded scraping spears

That sounds dope as shit. Yeah you can take it my strength file, I can trade it over from another of my files at a later date if I want to use it. My strength file is closer anyhow.

i can give you 5-10 dragon scales on my SL70 acct which should be enough if you get the 5 in ash lake (10 scales to +5)

Yes. I hope I didn't use them by accident, I know I used some twinkling titanite on eastern armor last night by accident thinking it was asking for titanite shards. Now I gotta go farm the damn things. So lame.

and dont get the moonlight butterfly spear. its got long range but the damage is pretty crappy (~330ish pure magic w/ 45 INT)

the shield is way more fun, albeit less usable in actual pvp

Well what else could I do with the mfly soul then? If its only spear and shield, might as well just make the spear for fun haha. Granted the spear prolly won't see much use at first anyhow since my first build for magegirl doesn't plan to use the shield aside from the stamina buff.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Except we won't lose to lame ass Bolivians.

I'm so down.

I won't lvl past SL70 with either file til I get to the end for both. I'll prolly make a seperate file for strictly SL70 play. Nudist with fog ring and lightning and chaos weapons, pyromancy, with stats only in vit, end, and resist. Should be fun.

Hmm when we do guns blazing trolljobs we should get fog rings to go with it.

Um I wouldn't really sweat it dood. If its anything like crossbows before it's garbage. But I think both noob and I are already taking that into account. It's just gonna look really funny when ppl are taking bolts to the next in rapid succession.

There's no comparison in the least between bows and crossbows. Not before, and I'm guessing not now.

You don't use crossbows in this game if you're trying to use something good. lol

After playing this game for three hours, I have to concede that I am pretty weak sauce. Still at Undead Burg (Main Section), trying to get the Blue Tearstone Ring from the Black Knight. ;_;

I don't think this game was meant for weekly three to four hour sprints. In hindsight, I probably should have chosen a class better than the Deprived.

Yeah idk why you chose deprived, although a club and rolling at the beginning is pretty dope.

Okay, so I just outfitted my str guy with my first real draft of pvp troll status:

dragon tooth+4/pyro+20

crest grass shield/-

onion hat+3

smough armor

black leather gloves+6

black leather pants+6

cartwheel ring

havel ring

@great combustion

Looks hilarious! It busts skulls pretty well but it's tough to play levels with so far. I'll prolly switch it up during areas...or not.

um I forget what my mage girl is rocking but I think it's:

enchanted sunlight sword+3/pyro+20

grass crest shield/oalacile cat (I can switch to sunlight shield+5 no sweat)

solaire hat

tattered robes

some gloves? probably tattered?

antique skirt

slumbering dragon ring (whatever it was that lengthens duration of spell effects)

havel ring(think I'll switch to cartwheel once I get it)

@great combustion, fog

It's working well so far as my pre-moonlight set. The backstabs are puny but when they can't see you it's easy to land just about anything you want to start (backstab climb on the guy and combust away, for example). You might notice but it's set up for normal play as well...since I'm still going through.

You know what you can do if you're that early is start over as a pyromancer. It's probably the best overall starting class. Just pick master ring in the beginning and you're set, brother.

this guy makes pretty good use of avelyn

you should get an enchanted estoc or a +15 bandit dagger w/ crystal enchant for your mage because i know i am

on my mage im using smough chestplate with dusk crown for maximum effect haha

why dont you use ring of great protection though? it adds 20% to everything

oh and whats the stats on the dragon tooth?

onion hat is man hat HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

i need to sleep

once these servers get fixed we will help you beat up that black knight douchebag wong!

Edited by noob

this guy makes pretty good use of avelyn

you should get an enchanted estoc or a +15 bandit dagger w/ crystal enchant for your mage because i know i am

on my mage im using smough chestplate with dusk crown for maximum effect haha

why dont you use ring of great protection though? it adds 20% to everything

I'm going to be making enchanted estoc most likely, although I'm leaning towards uchigatana first since I was trying to avoid shieldplay to start with the mage girl. Ditto with the dagger. I had thought about both earlier today at work hahaha. Oh yeah, I'm prolly getting moonlight shield instead of spear because I want to test out how the shield's special move works with the mage girl. I think that's the stupid razor disks ppl kept throwing at me btw. You should have told me the shield did destructo disks!

max effect is the antique top with dusk crown for +30% total spell damage. If the magic is the concern and you have a real shield then you don't need much poise. Especially if you're rocking an estoc. All you gotta do is watch for high stun weapons and adjust your attack accordingly.

I'm not using ring of favor because I don't have it on mage girl yet. I'm leaning towards cartwheel and favor ring for that file though, to settle on. idk tho I might do cartwheel and slumber to max the invis time. extra hp and stamina are nice but being unlockable is better!

ring of favor for str file wouldn't make sense since the weight reqs are so insanely high right now. I'm using all 47 weight or w/e I have to stay under 50%. Mainly cuz I wanted to look like a metal stay puff but w/e, sacrifices gotta be made to be baller status.

Edited by Penguin Deus

i use the ring of great protection on my STR guy over havels because it gives less of a weight equip boost but its still there (40 end with gold ring = 43.9 total weight for >50%) and then on top of that it gives you a shitload of stamina and more health, both of which are great for STR characters

idk if you could still fit the smough belly with dragon tooth though

id actually leave it off of the mage too since if its a pure mage with only estoc/backstab melee, then you only need stamina for rolling and its pretty easy to not get hit when you play range with magic

you can use hornets ring instead too for maximum estoc effect

i thought i said that the shield shot rings of light but i probably just assumed i did

its got a horrendously slow startup and finish and its pretty easy to dodge if they arent slow but it scales with your right hand weapons atk stats iirc so using it with a zwei basically turns it into AC large rockets

Edited by noob

i use the ring of great protection on my STR guy over havels because it gives less of a weight equip boost but its still there (40 end with gold ring = 43.9 total weight for >50%) and then on top of that it gives you a shitload of stamina and more health, both of which are great for STR characters

idk if you could still fit the smough belly with dragon tooth though

I'm SL60 on that file so I don't have my end 40 yet so I couldn't do that. I think at SL120 I'm gonna run the demon great hammer +15 though since this file is supposed to be bramdlike and that thing is sorta bramdlike. I could run the dragon tooth but honestly I think my strength is higher than the min needed to 2h it so I'll look at other options.

I think I'll make a seperate build specifically for using crystal magic weapon w/ dragon tooth +5. That sounds closest to the spirit of my bramd file anyhow, whereas this guy was supposed to use grant but that thing is trash you said so fuck it. I'll just make it general purpose strength.

id actually leave it off of the mage too since if its a pure mage with only estoc/backstab melee, then you only need stamina for rolling and its pretty easy to not get hit when you play range with magic

you can use hornets ring instead too for maximum estoc effect

I'm not doing pure mage with estoc/backstab melee, though. I'm doing moonlight w/ magic spells. I'm not going to be concentrating on spell damage either. I want it for poking and stuff but the moonlight should be doing the heavy lifting

moonlight/some alternate weapon (leaning towards enchanted sunlight, or enchanted uchi once I make it...or good ol pyro+20 w/ spells)

grass crest/any catalyst with high boost

whatever armor gets me highest poise without killing my roll (favor ring might help here)

cartwheel ring/idk yet (this is why I mentioned favor ring)

@fog, crystal homing soulmass, white dragon breath, great crystal spear (idk about all 4 but they are top of my list right now)

i thought i said that the shield shot rings of light but i probably just assumed i did

I think you did in this thread actually, but you didn't when I asked you about it on aim, and I had forgotten you mentioned it here til you just said it.

AC large rockets

That's exactly why we need to use it.

slow spell makes that shit land great. Hey for our SL70 butch cassidy builds, we should use dual avelyns, with chaos zwei+5 and moonlight shield. We're gonna be using fog and slow spell, and clearly stats aren't going to matter, so we can easily make the mins for the spells. That way we can dump points into resist for extra defense haha. Then we can go back n forth between lightning bolt executions and destructo disk executions.

I might run the poise ring on my mage girl too to get more poise. +40 poise is pretty hard to ignore.

Oh yeah, you prolly noticed this, but just in case nobody else did: the antiquated skirt destroys pretty much every single armor in the game in defense stats. If armor/weight ratio is all that matters to you and you don't need extra poise just use the skirt.

Yeah i need to go to bed too fuck. We'll continue this tomorrow!

Oh I just saw the edit for dragon tooth. At +5 (I have it at +4) its 435 atk with D str scale (lol). 40 str to use (so like 27 for 2h or so). Giant black dildo ftw.

I think I was getting right now like 530+ atk power. I think everything in Anor Lando was 1-2hko from my basic swings. Even the big giants inside guarding the boss room.

oh wong if you want help just let me know. I have so much reading to get done I don't mind waiting an hour for a summon.

Man, 25% roll is fantastic. I can't believe how free it feels compared to every other roll.

I've just beaten Mr. Flame Ejaculate on my SL27 character. I'm not sure if I should slap on some heavy shit and do 4 kings immediately after I get Sif down or not so I can get the red invasion stone. Does anyone know if covenant items like the red invasion stone disappear upon covenant swapping? Would be fantastic to just load up on every possible covenant item.

My experience with armours seems to be that they don't really matter as much as I thought they did. My guess is that you either have to go super-heavy havels or 25% light for PvP, as going mid doesn't get you enough armour over light to matter. Unless you want to swing a big heavy weapon around, then you'll need some poise.

And man, there's still tons of misinformation going out. I still don't know of strength actually effects swing speed or not. I don't think it does myself.