Dark Souls

Magnus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's my plan too. Well by that point I don't really know what covenant is left so I may just stick with it.

My dex guy might go full darkwraith.

Chaos darksword +5/pyro+20 or dark hand for humiliation grabs. Maybe quaalude sword but I think chaos darksword puts up better numbers. I'm not sure about that. I don't remember anyone discussing the darksword.

Dark hand or grass shield. Pyro +20 if I have dark hand in the right slot.

Dark set +5

cartwheel ring

ring of favor and protection

Great combustion, great chaos fireball, and great fireball. If I decide to get one more attunement slot then I'll switch out great fireball for chaos storm. Or maybe keep three slots and use a support spell. Power within, toxic mist, acid surge. idk.

I'm at SL79 because I punked out for more stamina. I'm going to stick there until more people here get SL120 dudes. If I go to SL120 with this guy then I'm dropping darksword for quaalude sword since chaos darksword doesn't scale. Maybe I should go lightning/fire with it anyway. Chaos scales with humanity but fire/lightning have buffer values so I don't know if the humanity boost will push it higher than them. Especially since humanity doesn't boost past 30 humanity, right?

Edited by Ninety

Man, 25% roll is fantastic. I can't believe how free it feels compared to every other roll

idk why you'd ever play higher unless you have the cartwheel ring. I mean if you're playing pvp. If you're playing pve on ng then it hardly matters.

Cartwheel ring fucks 25% roll up nasty, btw. Christ. I think it even makes you move as if you were under 25% too even though it doesn't say it. I certainly don't feel any slower. Guess I'll time it later.

Does anyone know if covenant items like the red invasion stone disappear upon covenant swapping? Would be fantastic to just load up on every possible covenant item.

It depends on the covenant item. Dragon head always works once you get it. Cat ring doesn't iirc. Eye of Death doesn't. darkwraith invasion stone might not. Any covenant based spell won't work either (chaos fire spells, the biggest zeus bolt, sun princess spells, idk if there are others).

My experience with armours seems to be that they don't really matter as much as I thought they did. My guess is that you either have to go super-heavy havels or 25% light for PvP, as going mid doesn't get you enough armour over light to matter. Unless you want to swing a big heavy weapon around, then you'll need some poise.

Armor matters more now than in ds, mainly because of poise. The defense numbers go way higher, backstab damage is down, and there is a resistant stat, which all combine for greater values. But mainly poise. Poise is one of the most important stats there is, and I think we might even want to test out exactly how it works some day. This is me talking at SL70, though. At SL120 I have no idea if armor is rendered useless aside from poise. Not like that matters cuz poise was the best reason to use armor anyways.

That and they look super sik!

I'm 99% confident that anyone playing at over 50% wt against me is going to lose every match. Havel or not. I don't recommend doing that.

And man, there's still tons of misinformation going out. I still don't know of strength actually effects swing speed or not. I don't think it does myself.

I only trust something I've tested myself or someone I trust has told me directly and has tested it as proof. That's also why I don't bother going to other message boards anymore. That and fanboys of whatever topic the forum is about will invariably ruin the game for me.

I've never heard strength affecting swing speed. The guide mentions that high dex effects movement speed...and I think swing speed. Neither of these have I seen to be the case but I haven't made a dex file so yeah. idk. I can tell you 100% that neither stat affected anything like that in demon's souls, though.

Hyper-bowmen were nasty in DS but there's no Morian blade so it's harder for that now.

Maybe quaalude sword but I think chaos darksword puts up better numbers. I'm not sure about that. I don't remember anyone discussing the darksword.

Especially since humanity doesn't boost past 30 humanity, right?

I didn't really like the darksword because of it's weird swing motions but anything Chaos +5 with 10 humanity is going do around 500 damage. Quelaag's blades both boost damage from Humanity, one just does almost pure fire damage while the other does normal damage and bleeding damage. I find the bleeding status effect is WAY better in DkS the DnS, because the max damage that can be done.

Cartwheel ring fucks 25% roll up nasty, btw. Christ. I think it even makes you move as if you were under 25% too even though it doesn't say it. I certainly don't feel any slower. Guess I'll time it later.

I actually couldn't tell the difference when I was under 25% but I haven't actually tested it either.

Any covenant based spell won't work either (chaos fire spells, the biggest zeus bolt, sun princess spells, idk if there are others).

I killed the white spider girl and still was able to use the chaos spells?

I've never heard strength affecting swing speed. The guide mentions that high dex effects movement speed...and I think swing speed. Neither of these have I seen to be the case but I haven't made a dex file so yeah. idk. I can tell you 100% that neither stat affected anything like that in demon's souls, though.

I haven't noticed a difference in my dex file it feels the same to me.

Hyper-bowmen were nasty in DS but there's no Morian blade so it's harder for that now.

They weren't nasty but they were hilarious for general trolling. Winning a duel with a hyper bow says more about your opponent than you, usually.

I actually couldn't tell the difference when I was under 25% but I haven't actually tested it either.

Check the roll distance and response time on back to back rolls and also on moving from out of a roll. It felt a little better to me on all counts. More importantly, 50% weight! God tier ring.

I'm gonna time it at some point I think. Even if it's just counting mississippis or something.

I killed the white spider girl and still was able to use the chaos spells?

Yeah for some reason it doesn't seem to boot you from the chaos chicks covenant for killing spider girl. idk why. You can murder engyi and same thing happens (Owen tested this accidentally). It's not supposed to work that way. You can test it yourself by leaving the covenant and trying to arm the spell. It darks out.

Oh and John keep in mind overall damage numbers are meaningless when there is split damage.

Edited by Penguin Deus

@Mike: Yeah, I dropped chaos cov when I joined cat cov and I'm still lobbing great chaos fireballs everywhere.

@Matt: What's the other quaalude sword? I was talking about the quaalude furysword curved sword. Is that the chaos katana? I didn't know that was a quaalude blade.

I didn't notice a dramatic difference between <25% and >25%. It was noticeable though.

Really? Okay I'll go try again. It was blacked out last time though so idk why. Maybe I didn't have enough slots and didn't realize it lol. My mage girl has the slots though and I remembered it being blacked out on hers. Whatever I'll try again for sure when I get home and if I'm wrong then my bad.

Yeah Chaos Blade.

There's a noticable jump yeah. it's not dramatic in terms of feel but it's dramatic in terms of effectiveness. You regen a bit slower iirc, you walk slower for sure, and you roll roughly the same speed but the recovery is slower at the end. Cat ring negates like all of that though so <50% is <25% in performance except slightly better (I'll time roll speed and measure roll distance to make sure).

I was punishing people with >25% all weekend and last night. Then again like noob said most people are terrible, terrible fighters at SL70 (so far).

hey noob wasn't sure if I told you but dragon tooth has gaxe roll :(

Edited by Penguin Deus

since most stuff is translated the strength swing speed is probably a poor translation of having enough STR for the weapon requirement. there its obvious that strength will affect swing speed if it isnt high enough

and the dex thing is probably because some dex weapons will let you do flips and stuff after you attack without using darkwood grain ring

my STR file feels the same as my DEX file

the gaxe roll is good stuff werd

i think it uses a cone effect instead of an aoe now, so it hits people from farther away

haha quaalude

you can make 2 weapons off of queelag's soul; one is queelag's furysword and the other is chaos blade

queelags furysword works like a chaos weapon where it scales off of humanity, it has a B scaling in dex with 98 base raw and something like 290 base fire, and its got a sick swing animation

chaos blade is like a shitty hiltless that does less damage and doesnt scale off of humanity despite the name

queelags sword uses a curved sword moveset, and chaos blade uses a katana moveset

get queelags furysword

Maybe I'm just sensitive to stuff like that when it comes to games. I'm super sensitive when it comes to input delay on laggy street fighter matches, and the minute my character goes a hair over 25%, I can immediately tell just how much slower he walks and runs as well. The difference in roll speed coming from over 25% to under 25% is night and day. (Roll speed is actually the same, but the recovery from the roll is way different-- I don't know if both have same invincibility frames or not) Edited by TMRaven

since avelyns only requirements are 16 str and 14 dex i just used my SL70 file for it

to shoot electricity though you have to buy lightning bolts from the giant blacksmith and theyre 700 souls apiece, so i bought a 999 stack, stored it, and bought another 999 stack

btw art ill trade you 5 twinkling titanite for a +14 avelyn

You guys can have all of my titanites. I'm only interested in a few weapons for my dex char and most of the weapons are either dragon scales or reg titanites I think. Not sure. I'll look at the guide later, but I'm definitely willing to part w them.

I just killed Havel the Rock. It seems no matter how much armor I had, he can always kill me with one hit. So I just went naked with the Drake Sword and back stabbed him seven times for the win, and got Havel's Ring. Blue Tearstone Ring saved me once I think. Going to fight Armored Tusk next.

Do you guys have any tips for leveling up (getting more souls) and humanities? So far, I have pretty much been grinding. Any tips will help. Thanks.

Path of the Dragon is actually the covenant that I was interested in anyways. Thanks for the info! Still a long way.

Edit: I am actually surprised FROM Software had not patched this already. Sounds pretty game breaking.

Edited by Wong

Do you guys have any tips for leveling up (getting more souls) and humanities? So far, I have pretty much been grinding. Any tips will help. Thanks.

Havel's ring is awesome.

Nah don't be a pussy like John and use the glitch without even having beaten the game once legit. I'd lose respect for you if you did.

Anyways honestly grinding is kind of pointless in this game. The SLs don't help as much as the equipment and spell access. I mean you could be all of Demon's Souls staying at SL1, and you could beat the entire thing naked (maybe not at SL1, though, idk). My main advice is to simply take your time and observe things until you got a handle on it, and take things slow unless you have to go fast. This game rewards patience and not taking unnecessary risk. It's always been that way. Also, use that drake sword and a hollow shield until you get to Sen's Fortress and can get the lightning spear. Once you get that, stick to that. Lastly, if you're not playing online, or even if you are and you don't give a fuck about invasions, then it's okay to play at <50% weight. In the first playthru shield abuse goes a long way, and rolling isn't a necessity. This will become doubly true once you get the lightning spear. You'll get the intricacies of using a shield if you haven't already, and ditto with the drake sword and lightning spear.

Oh yeah...get a pyro hand by rescuing the guy in the Depths and then going back to firelink shrine and talking to him. He'll give you one for free. Fire spells don't work off your stats, just the power of the hand and your humanity. It's a perfect backup to your martial skills.

Getting humanity is usually easiest to get in the beginning by helping people kill bosses. The gargoyles in particular will probably get you lots of action.

Check the roll distance and response time on back to back rolls and also on moving from out of a roll. It felt a little better to me on all counts. More importantly, 50% weight! God tier ring.

My bad I misread it and thought you said you move faster at 25% with the ring, I what it does to below 50% and I think this ring, ring of fog, and Rin of favor.

Yeah for some reason it doesn't seem to boot you from the chaos chicks covenant for killing spider girl. idk why. You can murder engyi and same thing happens (Owen tested this accidentally). It's not supposed to work that way. You can test it yourself by leaving the covenant and trying to arm the spell. It darks out.

Oh ok I didn't actually check my status after I killed her but what's also weird was the secret door to Lost Izalith wasn't open so it confused me, of course I could have joined another covenant and forgot.