Dark Souls

Magnus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jose we're still boys but I got my eye on you.

The uchi is just a little bit longer the the Iaito and the both have some good range. I haven't really timed the swing animations for them yet but the Iaito seems a little faster than the uchi and it's a better Katana for Fog users as it has a horizontal R2 slash. That's the one thing I liked about the Chaos blade as it had both both R2 motions of the Uchi and Iaito, but it was also smaller than both. The washing pole is a beast if you change it to a Chaos weapon as it does a crazy amount of damage and it almost has the range of the Dragonslayer. I feel all Katana's have pretty good phantom range when I used them as well and each has that super attack while running.

Why make and Estoc for backstabbing as its critical is only 100? The bandit's dagger, parry dager, dagger, rapier, and the mail breaker have higher critical damage. Unless there's something with the Estoc that makes it a better back stabber for range purposes but then why not use a spear?

EDIT: I timed all the Katanas and they all can do 8 swings with END 40(with RoFaP). The uchi and the Iaito have the smae speed swings as each other whether its 2H'd or not. The only difference is the Iaito has a horizontal swing R2 and the 2H'd R2 goes father than the Uchi. The chaos blade also had the same speeds when using R1 but not R2, it was just a little slower. The washing Pole had almost the same speeds it was half a millisecond slower, but it takes up the same amount of stamina per swing as the others.

Excellent. Thank you for the thorough analysis. You're the man.

Chaos Washing Pole sounds like a brilliant idea, btw. I really dig that.

Yeah estoc has 100 crit now, noob. It's not like ds. You're prolly better off running crit dagger +15 with crystal magic weapon and/or power within instead, especially if it's purely for backstabs. Unless like Matt alluded to you know something we don't about it.

Oh...and if anyone has blue titanite they can spare throw it my way I need a ton. :( I may just blitz the Archives and Crystal Cave earlier than planned to farm the stuff.

Oh yeah I saw black knight axe in action that weapon is so ill. It's fast as shit for how gigantic it is. I'm with noob it's rad.

@noob could you elaborate your thoughts on smough's hammer? Like what unique attributes it has? I'm wondering if I still want to make this file use it since I'm noticing it can't be enchanted and it's damage seems sorta low compared to the dragon tooth, although the tooth has been upgraded so there's that.

I might even still run grant if only out of a sense of duty hahaha. :(

Edited by Penguin Deus

the crit on estoc feels a lot higher than it says it is

i know it only says 100 but when i try to use a sunlight straight sword, itll give me 700-800 tops, whereas estoc floats around 900-1100

that was of course on my magic file, but my straightsword had a higher atk value than my estoc, so im gonna have to test the stuff for sure later

i have yet to try the bandit dagger though; maybe its really good for backstabs

smoughs hammer's unique attribute is how fucking huge it is. the range is fantastic and its intimidating as fuck. i literally faced a guy who strafed me for like 4 minutes because he was too scared to try and land a hit on me and he ended up running into one of my hits

its also got groundpound and if you have enough STR to one-hand it, you get a real nice 270 swing with lots of range. sometimes i bait people with the slow roll only to pop out a huge sweep and catch them off guard

i see lots of people using lightning/chaos washing pole online and its hard to deal with when they know what theyre doing. if you cant outrange them or if you dont have enough poise, youre fucked

i also want to try murakumo curved GS. i heard the 2H R1 combo has some manly stunlock and 180 slashes. it doesnt particularly fit on my dex file though because i need a minimum str of 19 to 2H its 28 str req

RoFaP. can we just call that ring the fap ring?

fap ring is fine. Yes.

What are we calling high enough poise? Btw wolf ring has aura, fyi if you are running fog with it. :(

Okay my Bramd guy will use smough hammer 100% sure now. If I want run grant it will be on another file. I have to do it for great justice, since it sounds like spiritual successor to Bramd...despite what Grant would leave me to believe! Deceiver!

Despite complaints I'm finding that I prefer fighting super ornstein over super fatty. 3rd different character and I still feel good about that statement. Something about just being able to wack at feet all day and only having to worry about lightning butt slam is pretty nice.

Here's my current plans, most are like halfway done in-game; thoughts?

moonlight mage (base pyro)

V: 40

A: 19

E: 40

S: 16

D: 14

R: 12

I: 44

F: 8

10 to spare to SL120

@crystal soul spear, crystal homing soulmass, fog, great combust/chaos fireball/chaos firestorm

moonlight/pyro

catalyst/grass crest shield

cartwheel ring, sorcery ring/slumbering ring/fap ring/etc?

smough bramd (base warrior)

A: 12

S: 58

D: 12

R: 11

I: 9

F: 18

1 to spare to SL120

@slow, great combust

smough/idk yet (prolly just pyro for victory dance fist pumps since it weighs 0)

talisman/grass crest shield

cartwheel ring/fap ring/wolf ring, not sure on the two yet

dragonslayer (base cleric)

S: 24

D: 24

R: 11

I: 8

F: 40

3 to spare to SL120

@slow, repair?/wrath of god?/great combustion?/great heal?/lightning bolt? I'm leaning towards support spells here

dragonslayer spear/pyro? I am considering a secondary weapon

a good shield/talisman

cartwheel ring? regen ring? fap ring?

Butch Cassidy SL70 (base pyro)

V: 30

E: 37

S: 16

D: 14

R: 10

I: 14

@slow, fog

avelyn/pyro

avelyn/oalacile

fap ring, fog ring/cartwheel ring

Forgive me for not lising armors...I need more time to think on it. I pretty sure smough bramd is rocking kid mask though.

Yeah I was noticing around 30-40 poise and I don't think anything I got hit by stunned me on the first blow. I'm not too sure though.

EDIT: used a spreadsheet to make sure I had stats right (assuming this spreadsheet is accurate)

Edited by Penguin Deus

I would definitely go with great combustion on your dragonslayer build. I've noticed that the combustion spells can setup spear combos if you can get it to hit. I also feel like the slow will be pretty necessary there because of the spear. The dragonslayer build I want to run is very similar to the one you're considering. And since you don't really need those extra points for anything I would just throw them into dex for a few extra damage points. Edited by Rachis

So, would you suggest switching the talisman and pyro spots then? So like gcombust -> stab, or as is and go gcombust -> switch -> stab? I wonder how strong a stun the gcombust gives...I know with high enough poise it can be resisted since I've killed people that way before.

On the spare points, assuming I don't go with more attunement, I'm guessing 3 into str (2h will be 40) and the last point into dex.

I forget what strength is rquired to 2H the giant stone blade but for your mage file put the extra in strength (if required) to use it so you can use its 2H R2 to activate the slow field effect like TWoP, plus the sword has a decent magic damage stat. Another weapon to consider is the channeler's pitchfork thing. Only for summoning/trolling with friends would it trully be useful because of the funny dance.

holy shit I can't believe I didn't think about the stone sword gravity field and WDB. That's the way to accommodate for the slow cast speed. Magic damage pretty much goes straight through most shields and they can't roll so they can't moveout of the way. The only way to counter TWoP is by using iron flesh or your own TWoP but iron flesh blocks only phsical damage and it doesn't matter if you can't move fast as you wanna keep distance from the other guy since it has a far cast range. Oh the channelers trident acts just like a spear except for the dance.

Yeah the build I was gonna try for wdb was going to revolve around heavy use of slow. The trick is figuring out how to get both the sword and the spell onto the build...I mean yeah you could say no to one or the other and it's much more doable, but still.

S: 27

D: base

I: 50

is SL125 if you started as pyro, and is pretty focused on only using the wdb. Let's say you ignore the spell version, and just run repair instead...

A: 14

S: 27

D: base

I: 50

F: 8

1 point to spare, and you could run something like wdb, chsm, and repair. Still pretty limited though...if you sacrifice vit you might have some flexibility. Tricky.

Yeah butch cassidy is gonna do that lots.

For when I dont want to dual avelyn I will throw destructo disks while noob does whatever it is noob does.

Prolly pyro fisting ppl.

I haven't really used the M.Butterfly shield yet and I haven't upgraded it past the 1 and it only does around 350 to most enemies while WDB did over 1000 with th dusk crown and crystal catalyst. It could do more at 5 but like I said I haven't used it much. Edited by Kaleidoscope

I just noticed my moonlight build has enough spare points to run slow spell hahaha...I might just do it anyways!

Have we confirmed that butterfly shield's hadoken doesn't scale off magic buffs or anything (like crown or antique shirt)? Hell do we know anything about how it works aside from noob mentioning it might scale off damage from r hand weapon?

Oh and yeah I've seen first hand how destructive butterfly shield with slow spell is.

Edited by Penguin Deus

lol rageeeeee

I tried out various spells while fogged. Attack ones worked okay. I tried firestorm, chaos firestorm, all 4 soul arrows, great fireball, chaos great fireball, great combustion, and homing soulmass. The power up ones didn't seem to though, such as power within, flash sweat, and iron flesh. I'm not sure if this info helps anyone out, but figured I'd put it out there since I was testing this stuff out while determining what to do with my moonlight girl. I can't decide weather to up her faith and get slow, or raise her strength and get access to the stone greatsword, or even to just raise her int or vit further (since both are already at 44 and 40, respectively). Decisions, decisions