YOUR combat style!

Malice

I still do CQC and ive been learning how to play the range game. I hate backpeddlers. The only time i backpedal is when i have low AP or im trying to aim at someone in the air with either a GL or sniper cannon. Now my style varies on what im using.

Most of the time i use Mid ACs,I have a few lights,Very few quads and possibly one RJ that works. I dont really use heavies but i have a mid/heavy design and i dont use tanks. I hate tanks. So slow...but ive seen some crazy shit with people using tanks.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get technical, nothing is wrong with backpedaling. The problem though, at least on the 360 side, is that pretty much everyone backpedals. Some really enjoy it, as it is some trained, secret art. Others curse its name and demean those who do it. And then you have the really small majority of players that while they do backpedal, hate it and only do so because of its massive strength in FA. In general I found FA to be much more backpedal friendly, since you know, everyone and their fucking mother can have a sniper cannon or a rail cannon now. And in addition to that, most of the people run MP203's and a railgun like that combo's a fucking gift from god or something. It'd be a true shame to have some of these people play AC4 and get a wakeup call of how you can't run gay shit as FA allows you to do so.

TL;DR- FA in general allows for more faggotry then AC4 did and the 360's side motto of "I'm gonna do whatever it takes to win" presents itself even more so.

I backpedal when I really want to make sure that I win. Otherwise I bring mid-tier rush-down ACs. Full shotgun AC, hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Though recently in FA I've been using quads because I never do well in quads, and I wanted to fix that.

Lately ive been trying unorthodox weapons set ups just for the fun of it. Like....Argyros koji weapon arms with a sniper cannon on the left back, mussleshell on the right back and AS shoulder missles. My goal: Kill as many as possible before getting raped when they see the big green glow.

I backpedal when I really want to make sure that I win. Otherwise I bring mid-tier rush-down ACs. Full shotgun AC, hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Though recently in FA I've been using quads because I never do well in quads, and I wanted to fix that.

FULL SHOTGUNS FTW! 0700s with dual KAMALs

Hows that turning out? Using quads that is

I can't believe that my simple comment sparked such a discussion.

I go forward because going backwards bores the snot out of me. Although I have lately been experimenting with all sorts of random crap in an attempt to find a highly amusing build to play.

Back when I played fa, I only used two builds. Basically, I'd rush in with dual Saplas for one build. Once I ran out, backpedalled with two sniper rifles at long range.

The other build, I'd hide while charging up dual kojima cannons. Then I'd kill Avenger.

He was seriously the only person I killed with that set-up.

My play style sucked. I sucked.

• 5 months later...

Ho-ly shiet! What have I MISSED?!!? Okay so, I read through ALL five PAGES OF THIS and I have to say... GOLD!. Now, I have only heard small specularity inclinations of 'tryhard' AC's and players BUT; now that I have had some more experience with AC4A I want to enlighten a little more.

My main AC is a lightweight with limited/high damage ammo (Meaning, ladies and gentleman; what I wield on my back, can kill me by splash damage alone if I am stupid while playing) So despite being Extremely reactionary and to the point of "playing without thinking" I --have-- to adapt and plan somewhat ahead. With this in mind with the lighter armor I have to be evasive (with my combat style) which means my CQC aggression tips from OMFG to almost purely defensive, you add in a laser blade on it with those high powered weapons I have great potential to inflict massive amounts of damage, even on tanks and heavyweights.

When I don't have my Laser blade (most familiar with me to those who still play on-line and manage to roam JP forums etc I am not well liked in discussions, but actually playing me in both PVP and multi-player adds a HUGE difference to the dynamics of what is going on, the survivability ratio and how hard you have to try/hit me in order to either A) maintain the highest AP until the counter hits 0 B) Actually kill me and reduce my AP to 0.

My style has branched out to MW and now to HW, but my style is nowhere near as aggressive with the blade (As you go 1 direction once you swing that sword and that is forward) With this in mind comes my input on "Backpedaling" In my main AC I have a simple Latona back booster system, which I don't tune so I have a rather poor back boosting system. This forces me and I cannot stress the word FORCES me to quick turn and try again. The ONLY times I personally Backpedal is to 2nd stage and stay either on top or underneath my opponent's AC (again mainly with a blade) Without a blade I incorporate the back boosting as mentioned by a few above, to maintain a certain distance so my weapons remain effective and do not become obsolete. Every tactic and every AC can be beaten, just as every player is human, regardless of the ability and prowess of the player or players at hand in the match in both PVP and multi. I've fought a few of you in my years of playing AC4A in the past, but none here I believe recent (which is sad, since Parry put my name on that old Black List my chances of having a good fight has dropped dramatically, regardless of my play style and my skill level. True, back then I had one of the worst connections, but this time around I am quite more solid.

As Niji (both) have said, hate the player for using that tactic to defeat you and ruin your fun when you believed you should have won. I admit fighting a Backpedaling AC style IS annoying, BUT as mentioned above, it can be countered. I now take great joy in fighting backpedaling AC designs and players, just to see how much I can do despite their often best efforts to A) maintain distance for their comfortability B) Weapon lock on radius that is most effective and C) and this one goes to a few out there; who revel in getting other players mad with their play style of choice. I will admit I am guilty of demonizing back pedal designs and play styles because I was nowhere used to A) my own style B) that particular style and C) an ego trip.

Now, in personal player customizability (makes sense but not found in dictionary) I use Type-B with Manual Aim, Purge, Boost which lowers my accuracy with Sniper Rifles and Cannons considerably, forcing me to adjust my style and the angles I am used to in order to secure a hitting blow (YES lag is such a tease, empty a FULL 061 Sniper Cannon into a JP lightweight and NOTHING) But that is only due to the limitations and fall-backs of 1) distance between players 2) the Internet connection types and 3) the game and 4) the players style. I have come across a few players both USA, EU, and JP, and ETC that I have cut with a blade (on my end) but nothing to them, maybe at the most a PS PSHHSEW (like when its hit with a SLUG or with another PA piercing weapon) Which I admit does give me a great deal of frustration BUT also encourages me to find the next angle, the next method to where my strike DOES the damage I KNOW it should, given the EN defense of the AC and with all factors added into it.

That is all for now, more later

~MaliceTheDarkOne

My style is CQC although I understand that sometimes trying to maintain CQC indefinitely is fighting the current. I rely on evasion and gorilla tactics. I'm at the mid point between a pragmatist and a purist and perfectionists sort of addition to a method. It is a fine line between using whatever works to win, which is the objective and playing how I want to play to have the most fun, assuming the game allows for my style to some competitive level. My weapon combo choices are usually something that will be good at close range but not force me to stay in one place relative to the position of my opponent to be effective. This is why something like MG/rifle is best given the way I like to move. I will keep some kind of effective missile that harasses you at mid range like verts in AC4 to be deployed for OB rushing, cover games and to setup CQC positioning.

Once in close I like to trip the other player up again and again making them lose confidence. The more the other player holds on the worse their situation becomes similar to a raccoon not being able to let go of a shiny object in a trap. All the raccoon has to do is let go, but he can't. If I encounter a player that can let go then we will flow with it until they finally pop or a beautiful game takes place, it all depends on the maturity of the player. Those that are optimists are the best because when they finally lose it their optimism goes right out the window illustrating that behind their optimism is the fear of losing control. I find this interesting, which is why I am neither an optimist nor a pessimist and this translates into my style insofar as I will be aggressive, passive aggressive or defensive depending on what the situation calls for. Like Bruce Li said "be like water."

If there is one method that defines my style the most if would be flanking. My style, similar to what Virv said at the beginning has been defined by the idea that if you can't hit me than I win. Understanding the mechanics of movement and being quick on my feet has been something that I practice. Being able to read the opponent is equally important as well as being able to predict and understand the intentions behind their movement and ultimately the mindset of the other player in order to apply the appropriate counter movement, either proactively or reactivity.

“The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look.”

Julius Caesar

anything with LATONA legs, combat style will coming later.

edit : in FA, backpedal or not, it's up to many things.

so....today is the day that I have a promise.

....umm.....actually my combat style is nothing. why I said that? it's because....

- all of AC players must be improving his/her combat skills.

- all of AC players must be improving his/her AC(s).

- strong basic = less thinking when in-fight. (remember, test field would be help you more than you think. just 4 things that you should do, patient, don't stop, learning, and keep on going to do same things.)

- be uncommon sometimes.

end.

- strong basic = less thinking when in-fight. (remember, test field would be help you more than you think. just 4 things that you should do, patient, don't stop, learning, and keep on going to do same things.)

I don't agree that thought should be completely absent in-game. I do surely agree with the idea of having an empty mind in the sense of not being caught up in anything that doesn't pertain to the fight or second guessing one's self but thinking should not be absent.

Nah, he's saying have strong fundamentals so you don't have to actively think about them in battle. That's basic stuff.

Oh yeah I agree most def. Having solid fundamentals is essential, otherwise you will be either hesitating or fumbling around. I guess I'm just stressing the importance of in-game thinking in a different sort of way. The flip side is people who rely completely on patterns and have "no thought" in a sense because they either 1. have trained themselves to follow a system of rules on cue or 2. just react. Either exhibits the weakness of being able to be exploited by the player who is conscious of this as well as the fact that it could be a deception. Greater consciousness and hence thought allows one to hedge their bets, which is a more effective strategy.

I would like to add that such practices should be something all players should use. I'm sure you would agree.

My style is just to kill the enemy. Most the times I've played, I'll admit, I got lucky, like killing 4 people in a row when i was last on the team. I'll dodge, I'll rush. Just adapt, if you know how to counter well, it's easy to win. 'Course, practice makes the master.

Oh yeah, forgot. If you use set-ups you know are gimped, that will make you improve dramatically. Going for the cheese to win is the fallacious thinking of rats in mazes. Be the experimenter, not the rat.

Edited by Genocide

Agreed Genocide,

going for the "cheese" win wont make you a better player. Its not that those "cheese" strategies aren't valid game methods but by relying on them you end up not using all of the posible things at your desposal and overall become less skillful.

I have seen it time and time again where some player because they got "greedy" and went right for the most effective method and never bothered to learn the rest of the game. Depriving yourself of what is most effective makes you become really good with that which isn't, thus making you a better player.

In the end you have to use what works, but the smarter player is the one who plays to learn everything as part of his style.