Some game I made, AC meets DS

Fragrant

yeah they dont explain it in ds exactly, but one thing that's known is that "crystallization" is known process for making magic more powerful (that's why Big Hat Logan was seeking out the Duke's Archieves and Seeth the Scaleless)

thing is I don't think Crystallization was used on the moonlight because the crystal its made of is different from the ones that form from the process of crystallization, and the waves of energy it shoots aren't the same kind/color as the ones used in crystallized sorcery. It's not 100% tho I think FROM left it open to interpretation.

i think it just looks the way it does because moonlight kinda just always looks that way, and they figured "hey its made of crystal in a way so why not just tie it back to Seath" which also makes sense considering a legendary japanese sword also came from the tail of a dragon (kusanagi being in one of the orochi's tails)

borrowing from mythology type shit

http://nathanfairbairn.tumblr.com/post/103147886014/pax-americana-color-process

excellent read from an industry pro

might have real good info to help blow up your art game

shadows in particular

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Yung Epsom Salts Ah, thanks for the info on Seath. I thought he was just an angry, skinless dragon who betrayed his kind because they made fun of him for being a blob dragon. I guess your right about the Moonlight being a different kind of gem since the other gem weapons have a more mineralized look.

Thanks for the link, hard to find good tutorials, especially from a successful artist. It's definatley top notch in how it tells things. I'll do my best to learn from it. An example used in it is kind of gruesome-ish I guess, lol, but still illustrates the points is making much, much better than other tuts I've seen. Especially the part when you lay the flats of the colors and how the shading is applied.

Oh yeah, just recently, I was informed that an invention I helped drafted just went live.

http://speegeeco.com/

Anyway, episode 03 will be up later today, maybe tomorrow. This time I put a lot more effort into the lines.

he betrayed them for knowledge

yeah that guy is one of the best in the business, and the page he was doing colors for was drawn by arguably THE best in the business

it's great, great, stuff

very eager to read ch 3, remember a lot of us here are more than willing to help with proofreading and stuff, and that's as simple as sending a script to one of us first (obv don't post that sort of thing publicly, kills the fun/surprise of the comic)

also congrats on that invention draft gig

Oh I see, didn't know that, I just assumed my initial theory in jest when I saw the intro, lol.

Awesome, definitely see it in their art.

I write the script in scribbles on the actual art file itself in its own layer, so I'd have to send the proof-read version when its nearly done, before I add the colors.

I wanted to post the comic's finished, non-colored, lineart. If nobody wants to spoil themeselves, don't click, but if you wanna see how the story looks without words, thats cool too. I'm compelled to post it, because by far the best line art out of the three comics so far. I put an extra 10 hours into this comic on top of the alloted time it normally should have, which improved the art by A LOT. Just gotta color it and put the word bubbles in now, which will take another 2 to 3 hours maybe, but its 1 am, so I gotta go sleep now, as I wouldn't be able to write the dialogue from the scribbles right in this state, and is what led to the mispellings previously, lol. I'll send the proof read version to whoever volunteers if you want, but I won't get to work on it again until noon tomorrow at the soonest.

Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled:

http://imgur.com/a/7HziT

I accidentally skipped a page, try to guess which, I'll have to detail ink it tomorrow. Detail Ink is the method I used to give it those lines, without it, it will look like the page that hasn't been Detail inked yet, lol, only has base ink lines.

Oh yeah, I found this, the original lineup before I updated it to fix their faces in that other pic with the extra people included. I totally forgot about the plant girl design on this page, THERE SHE IS I WAS LOOKING FOR THAT DESIGN. Some of those ingame characters are randomly infront of the wrong person, lol. Anyway, now I got to work with that design it should be get awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/q3dHVPi.jpg

I spent like 6 yesterday putting flats and inking anything I missed. I'll be done in 2 or 3 more hours I think.

Here's 03!

http://www.webtoons....375&episodeNo=3

I proofread it myself, if I missed anything, let me know.

I was gonna send it to somebody to proofread, but I wanted to post it already. : P Next ep, if you want to proofread, let me know in a post or PM.

Next Episode will focus on the fights in the single elimination rounds.

Edited by Fragrant

me and keanu would both proofread, at least

im sure others here would too

okay, so the art is better than ever in this chapter, but the dialogue was tough to follow, so was the actual plot progression...I think that might be a combination of the prose being awkward and the paneling being unorthodox

i like the paneling tho, and i think u just gotta keep working at it to improve and u'll get it down

definitely need to work on prose tho...thats the for sure next step here. You need to get better at it. The ideas are great, the art is strong, you just need to improve how you write next imo

Thanks. After I finished 03, I felt so drained, even though it wasn't my best effort. Yeah, I agree, I would need more practice to improve. I want to keep the art in high quality, but I gotta get back to reducing the hours spent on it during week. It took a considerable amount of my time this time to just improve the art, lol. The part that takes longest is actually putting the color flats down.

I was finished with lineart the night of 08, it took all of 09 and until the night of 10 to put color flats, and then spend 2-4 hours putting the word balloons and dialogue. : I I can't speed up that part, the only part I can reduce the time of is the art.

As much as I want to keep using the best art possible, I'll either have to go with only doing the lineart at the level of 03, with no colors, or if I'm really strapped for time, just rough linearts like some of the character designs I posted. That art has the least strain on my brain. At least that way, I can probably put up 2 ep's a week in less time than it took to make 03. But I'm probably gonna end up only being able to output a single ep still even with reduced time.

I'll just focus on writing better dialogue and articulating the story. I did actually change the original dialogue of 03, which might be why its so hard to follow. : X I was reducing text to make it an easier read, but I ended up taking out important pieces of information. I should never touch the story when I'm tired, lol, because I'm always feeling drained mentally after putting that much effort in the art, at that point, my INT is low.

Edited by Fragrant

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's how things happened, huge chunks of the day are to other things, what hours I got, I managed to come up with this. Only 4 or 5 days left. This ep will be out in next 2 days, and then ep 5, which I hope I can make in a day or two, will be out on the last day. But even so, I wanna keep drawing this story, but in quick low quality since I'm just focusing on story for now.

Preview pages, you can see some prototype text written on some pages, the others I turned off the layer with text while cleaning it, which is why others have an extra grid layer, since they are still at some earlier phase.

http://imgur.com/a/4OjZ0

OK, it only took 2 hours to put all the word bubbles in illustrator, as opposed to about 5 hours on Photoshop. : I Anyway, here is the new episode:

http://www.webtoons.com/challenge/viewer?titleNo=1375&episodeNo=4

The last day for this league thing is the 25th, I wonder if I can get #5 out by then. : X

Sorry, I couldn't send it for revisions, time is short and I gotta start the next ep. : I

giolith rules

its a good chapter, the main issues are the same as usual (grammar, sentence structure, panelling/pacing)

there are a few narrative and world-building problems i'm noticing too but i need to figure out exactly how to explain that cuz i feel its gonna be tricky for me on a forum

steadily improving

Yeah, I've been wanting to draw that fight since ep01. Giolith07 is an awesome character.

Yeah, I guess the only way to improve is to keep practicing and stuff.

Yeah, for one, their energy bar is referred to as energy, but theres also an element named energy. All this time, in all my documents, I refer to both as energy, but one is the bar that is your capacity, while the other is the typing of an attack/technique.

Yeah, for one, their energy bar is referred to as energy, but theres also an element named energy. All this time, in all my documents, I refer to both as energy, but one is the bar that is your capacity, while the other is the typing of an attack/technique.

Sounds confusing!

I still don't have a good idea of what powers people in my comic. I have an idea, mind you. It's just not good.

u should give us something to work with jackson

I got to see a sneak preview of some of his work, although I'm sure he does not want me saying too much.

Two words though...

Pistol Man

Jackson's downplaying the whole thing, he needs to go public.

@Yung Epsum Salts A good choice, lol. Anything based on a Rhinoceras Beetle is gonna be freaking awesome.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/files/2014/09/Japanese-rhino-beetle-990x507.jpg

http://media.padil.gov.au/species/141773/37259-large.jpg

@The Talentless I got the bad habit from AC, lol, they refer to both the generators gauge as energy, as well as referring to the laser's attack type as energy, lol. But I double checked and they DID make a distinction between the two. Energy from the energy gauge is referred to as EN, while lasers as Energy. I shall do the same and refer to the energy meter as EN or E.M.

If your idea turns out to be good, are you gonna change your name?

@Nomrah I'm guessing it's a 6 ft tall sentient gun with arms and legs? D: I have no idea what to imagine from those words, lol.

Anyway, EPISODE 05 will be up later today.

Edited by Fragrant

@The Talentless I got the bad habit from AC, lol, they refer to both the generators gauge as energy, as well as referring to the laser's attack type as energy, lol. But I double checked and they DID make a distinction between the two. Energy from the energy gauge is referred to as EN, while lasers as Energy. I shall do the same and refer to the energy meter as EN or E.M.

If your idea turns out to be good, are you gonna change your name?

What, change the Talentless? I like the name too much to change it, even after I start producing some cruddy comic. I'll make a topic for it soon. Give it a couple weeks.

Episode 05:

http://www.webtoons....375&episodeNo=5

@Yung Epsom Salts Yeah, thats true, in the game the story depicts though, Energy is the "element" every character starts with by default, since energy is a "flavorless" element. From there, users just go and find what element they want like fire, and swap out or convert their element core to it. It's possible to have multiple elements, but you either weaken both elements in some way, or you get some other drawbacks. In this game, you can choose what drawbacks to have, which makes it easier to make a build you want.

@The Talentless I see, I thought you would drop the "less" from your name I mean.

Edit: I had to turn it in before 11:59 yesterday, I barely managed to finish the minimum for the pages by 6 minutes before it. I was trying to make the bonus page, but couldn't find the Ogre pics I saved, and was unable to add the bonus pages in time. : X

I want to continue the comic someday, sooner than later, I actually draw it because it's the kind of story I like, and I can't find it anywhere! A story about an action game as a sport, like if there was a story about armored core or dark souls games being an e-sport. But with more character variety, a somewhat different system of fighting, and stuff. So that is why I like making this story. This story I'm making, I think it's awesome, and also lets me show a game idea I have, but can't really make due to how much manpower and resources it would take.

Edited by Fragrant

I'm reading now.

Quick question: how do ppl make their characters in the game? It sort of sounds like you can buy upgrades and stuff? The idea has made me like the main girl less and less since I think I hate ppl who pay their way to the top more than cheaters and griefers.

so is lit light or what? I'm confused

maybe just call it light always?

this chapter was eh...the ideas were better than the execution and the art was considerably worse. The dialogue was kinda boring, too. Too much exposition/info dump. Certainly not my favorite.

I actually really hate the manga/anime convention of explaining powers mid-fight.