Dark Souls

Magnus

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rachis It's fate, dood. Clearly. I might have to make a sparta to run with you as well. I know exactly how I'll do it too. Giant Helm, no armor, hollow pants, some kind of bracelets, havel shield, and idk any kind of spear I can find. hoss tier.

@Matt word that's interesting that logan cat made a bigger per-point gain than tcc. Either way...that spell really lends itself to the low req, high speed weapons. That's great news imo and I'm glad you corrected me on that. Good work.

And yeah demon spear is ill

Edited by Penguin Deus

I'm having a real hard time liking anything other than longswords, spears, and rapiers because anything bigger just seems too slow to me =(

[edit] Ok greatswords aren't too bad either, but they make bad combo weapons on their own.

Edited by Rachis

They are, but I never really liked their move sets either. I think it boils down to I don't rely on the lock too much for pvp and I've been successful at fending off invasions in both games that way so whatever I am doing must be working. I have always liked curved swords and Quelaag's Furysword is easily my favorite weapon in the game, but it would be a shame to only have one character you know.

Speaking of alternate characters I sort of have a rough draft for one and was wondering what you guys thought

Pyro start

Vit 47

Att 16

End 40

Str 16

Dex 10

Res 12

Int 44

Fai 18

enchanted claymore +5 / catalyst whatever

pyro+20 / talisman whatever

dark wood grain / cloranthy

slow, great combustion, crystal soul spear

So like I said I just thought about that setup. Haven't tested anything so I don't know if it will even work. However, the idea would be purely spacing until I get chances to buff weapon or use slow. Poise characters would probably give the class a hard time since it's just a claymore, but I figure I might be able to catch people with the claymore's range + dark wood grain's mobility. I could probably even run havel's chest armor and gain some much needed poise myself.

Thoughts?

[edit] I guess the first thought would be I can't enchant the enchanted claymore lol. Just thought about that so uh I guess I have a free slot for whatever.

Edited by Rachis

Most bigger weapons aren't meant for combos since they have High attack power and defense in this game has gone down. I used a Occult Greataxe+5 nad had a 700+ total damage so If I got a running 2H attack (which is actually quite fast) most people would be left with a sliver of health or dead. Smough's hammer is an exception but that thing is crazy.

156 116

I did a little testing to see about the estoc Critical hit damage and Noobs right, it has a higher critical than 100 because of what I've personally tried. I used a Longsword to back stab the Zombies down in New Lando and it did 116 damage to their health. Then I tried it with the estoc I just got and it did 156 damage when I back stabbed one of them.

Strength: 14

Dexterity: 13

Longsword Attack damage : 90 (80 base)

Estoc Attack damage: 83 (75 base)

I'll do some more testing once I get another weapon with high critical damage and see what the closest number will be to compare it to.

They are, but I never really liked their move sets either. I think it boils down to I don't rely on the lock too much for pvp and I've been successful at fending off invasions in both games that way so whatever I am doing must be working. I have always liked curved swords and Quelaag's Furysword is easily my favorite weapon in the game, but it would be a shame to only have one character you know.

Not liking movesets is one thing, but what you're saying makes it sound more like you need wide swings and multiple chances because you aren't comfortable with narrow swings or focusing on timing closely, especially since your favorite weapon is one of the easiest to use (long, fast, wide arcs, low stamina cost) and consequently the most popular weapon at SL70.

Time to break out of that comfort zone, because there's a whole world of weapons waiting to get used! I can guarantee you many of the big weapons are dope.

Speaking of alternate characters I sort of have a rough draft for one and was wondering what you guys thought

Pyro start

Vit 47

Att 16

End 40

Str 16

Dex 10

Res 12

Int 44

Fai 18

enchanted claymore +5 / catalyst whatever

pyro+20 / talisman whatever

dark wood grain / cloranthy

slow, great combustion, crystal soul spear

So like I said I just thought about that setup. Haven't tested anything so I don't know if it will even work. However, the idea would be purely spacing until I get chances to buff weapon or use slow. Poise characters would probably give the class a hard time since it's just a claymore, but I figure I might be able to catch people with the claymore's range + dark wood grain's mobility. I could probably even run havel's chest armor and gain some much needed poise myself.

Thoughts?

For that extra spot, how about crystal homing soulmass? I'd probably use that over the css normally since that way you can try to set up slow without a backstab, but having both is kinda dope. css casts pretty quick though so it's worth it for harrassment, at least. Otherwise I think you could even drop attune to 14 and raise vit 2 more points.

About the poise thing, that's why noob and I are such big fans of big weapon users having high poise; it lets you continue the damage race longer until you break their poise finally. This matters when they have big armor too and/or when they have a high atk rate weapon.

noob I'm up if you want to waste more time trying to summon each other. Altho prolly not at this moment since I'm hungry and I'm about to go eat CPK. After though I'm down all day.

infinite titanite

-Go to bird trade (Asylum)

-Drop your item

-Exit

-Load

-Drop the same item again

-Pick the very first item

-repeat

By: Japanese Wiki

So you're saying like drop red titanite, exit, load, drop more red titanite, pick up the first titanite?

I'll level smough to whatever SL you are for anor lando after I get back from pizza place.

So for titanite duping do you only need 1 to start it? That process made it sound like u might need 2. If it's only 1 I'm gonna dupe the shit out of blue slabs.

i love CPK

I read that you could only trade one item of its type with the bird per playthrough.

Also, I just realized the bonfire being dead in Firelink might not be part of the storyline, did somebody from the online world kill my bonfire? I suspect this after reading an item that says invade the world of the murderer of the firekeeper{but doesn't let me use the item.}

Also, if I make a new character, can I give my items from my other character to that one? I wanted to give a +10 weapon to a low level character and see what happens. I heard you can drop an item if online, and if you go to that location in a different character, you'd be able to pick it up, hadn't had time to test it.

no

you have to trade items that are only tradeable to the crow lady

so like a prism stone will get you a demon titanite or a blood red moss will get you a twinkling titanite

there a list somewhere for everything but off the top of my head

all mosses = twinkling titanite (the purple one with the crystals = 2)

dung pie, prism stone = demon titanite

humanities = sacrifice rings

dried finger = blue titanite chunk

egg vermifuge = dragon scale

I read that you could only trade one item of its type with the bird per playthrough.

Also, I just realized the bonfire being dead in Firelink might not be part of the storyline, did somebody from the online world kill my bonfire? I suspect this after reading an item that says invade the world of the murderer of the firekeeper{but doesn't let me use the item.}

Also, if I make a new character, can I give my items from my other character to that one? I wanted to give a +10 weapon to a low level character and see what happens. I heard you can drop an item if online, and if you go to that location in a different character, you'd be able to pick it up, hadn't had time to test it.

Nah you're fire is killed by Lautric of Carim. You gotta go slay his ass in Anor Lando. It's part of the normal plot.

Noob I'm back let's do this

Not liking movesets is one thing, but what you're saying makes it sound more like you need wide swings and multiple chances because you aren't comfortable with narrow swings or focusing on timing closely, especially since your favorite weapon is one of the easiest to use (long, fast, wide arcs, low stamina cost) and consequently the most popular weapon at SL70.

Time to break out of that comfort zone, because there's a whole world of weapons waiting to get used! I can guarantee you many of the big weapons are dope.

That really makes a lot of sense, but I'm thinking it has a lot to do with me letting pve determine how I play pvp. I know that they are two different worlds, but I haven't quite separated that yet for myself. So for pve I generally am not too patient and I don't mind fighting monsters in groups. I think that may explain why I had a relatively easy time with the Bang Bros despite all the complaints I've read about them. It may just be that I need to just force myself to use the bigger weapons and figure out how I'm going to adjust so I can still play fast.

For starters I'm gonna just throw myself into the heavy world and rock the great axe that you find in the depths.

Edited by Rachis

Oh man. Those big weapons are so good for pve sometimes when you have a good feel for them. Finishing off 2-3 dudes with 1 or 2 swipes is so awesome. I had a lot of fun with dbs on ds. I can't wait to get 30+ faith on my faith dude. 2handing my divine zwei is devastating as it is.

Hey noob let's try painted world next time. I hate this game and from software for refusing to allow us to summon each other. This is bullshit.

Just put down to enter painted world of John. 9:03pm

Summoned at 9:20pm fml

John died but got me back at 936pm.

We finished painted world of john at 10:02pm. Good times.

I'm making a strength build but m torn on what type. My build started as a warrior and so far:

V: 40

A: 10

E: 40

S: 50

D: base

R: base

I: base

F: base

I could go pure strength and use Smough's hammer and still have 12 pints left. I could also use 6 points in Int to use a CMW demon hammer or axe and still have a good amount of points left. Also, I could dumb all the points left into faith to use the Grant and TWoP. I'm liking strength build because of this much variety.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

I just finished the main part of my Smoughnificent build myself:

V: 40

A: 12

E: 40

S: 58

D: 14

R: 11

I: 9

F: 18

@slow (using heal atm since I don't have slow), great combustion

smough+4/pyro+20

thorolund talisman/grass crest shield+6

cartwheel ring/fap ring

havel hat

tattered robes+6

sorcerer gloves+6

sorcerer pants+6

So there's one possibility. idk if I'd recommend using Smough's Hammer, but I can tell you I was getting like 540 atk 1h, 569 2h, which is neat.

And honestly, if you want to use CMW you're going to need a shitload of Int. I mean you saw what our tests required to get real high.